Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay persons to provide confidential one-to-one Christian care to those who are experiencing all kinds of life needs and circumstances, both in our congregation and community.
Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.– Galatians 6:2 NRSV
Pastors will always be on the front line of care, especially during times of crisis. But there are always many more needs for ongoing, one-to-one care than pastors can effectually meet by themselves.
Stephen Ministry provides a Biblical solution-equipping God’s people for ministry. Gifted lay-people are trained to support and extend the care that pastors continue to provide.
Stephen Ministers reach out with God’s love to people who are hurting, both in the congregation and in the community alike.
A Stephen Minister is…
- A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting
- A congregation member with gifts for caregiving who was carefully selected to serve in this role
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care
- A caring, Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports and encourages
- Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there’s a need
Stephen Ministers are committed Christians who..
- Are committed to confidentiality
- Receive extensive training in caregiving skills
- Visit another person regularly
- Listen to your concerns
What does a Stephen Minister do?
- Keeps Confidence
- Walks beside a hurting person
Who May Need a Stephen Minister?
People who are dealing with:
- Job loss
- Financial struggles
- Chronic depression
- Terminal illness
- Other life difficulties
Stephen Ministry People
Barb Petty, Stephen Leader & Referrals Coordinator 315-986-4525
Email the Church Office: email@example.com
- If you want a Stephen Minister, please contact the pastor or referrals coordinator. When referring someone else, be sure to get her or his permission to do so.
- If you think this ministry might be an appropriate place to use your gifts, please contact the pastor or one of the Stephen Leaders for information on Stephen Ministry training.